Paranormal Investigation Equipment
There is a plethora of equipment available on the market. Some of it is very valuable, while some of it I would not recommend.
The equipment that Mount Washington Valley SPIRIT uses includes:
• Apple M2 MacBook Air – This computer is used for automatic data logging for our infrasound analyzer and our ultrasound analyzer.
• Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max – Used for manual data logging and 48-megapixel high-resolution photography. It is also used to explore images taken with our FLIR camera.
• Apple iPhone 13 Pro – Used for manual data logging and 12-megapixel high-resolution photography.
• Infiltec INFRA20 Infrasound Monitor – This device allows me to detect, monitor, & analyze infrasound frequencies between 0.5 – 20hz which are below the threshold for human hearing which is approximately 20hz to 20,000hz or 20kHz. Exposure to infrasound can cause symptoms including but not limited to anxiety, shakiness, a feeling of doom or depression, headaches, and ear pain. This device is connected to the Apple M2 MacBook Air in order to provide a digital readout of what the device is sensing.
• BatBox Baton Ultrasound Monitor – This device allows me to detect & analyze ultrasound frequencies between 20 kHz – 120 kHz which are above the threshold for human hearing. Just like infrasound, exposure to ultrasound can cause symptoms including but not limited to anxiety, shakiness, a feeling of doom or depression, headaches, and ear pain. Like the infrasound analyzer, his device is connected to the Apple M2 MacBook Air in order to provide a digital readout of what the device is sensing.
• GCA-07W Geiger Counter – Used for analyzing alpha, beta, gamma, and x-ray ionizing radiation. While not very common, someone could purchase an object that has been exposed to this harmful radiation, and even in small amounts, this radiation could cause a wide plethora of physical symptoms.
•Mileseey Gas Detector• This analyzer detects carbon monoxide (CO), oxygen (O2), hydrogen sulfide (H2S), & combustibles (EX) in gaseous form. These gases can cause a slew of physical symptoms and can even cause serious health problems.
•EG Air Quality Detector• This device detects formaldehyde, natural & synthetic volatile compounds, and particulate dust matter. Various forms of allergens and airborne particulates can cause people to have symptoms that are often attributed to the paranormal.
•Simco Electrostatic & Ion Balance Analyzer• This device locates the sources of electrostatic & ion balance charges. Electrostatic and ion imbalance can cause various physical symptoms such as tingling, perception of cold spots, cause visually perceived and physically felt sparking, and can cause random situations that may appear paranormal in nature.
•High Precision Microwave Detector HT-M2• This device is Used to find leakage of microwaves (electromagnetic)
• TriField TF2 EMF Meter – This device allows for 3-axis detection of AC magnetic, AC electric, and RF/microwave electromagnetic radiation in one device. I use this device to find sources of the various forms of electromagnetic radiation that could be influencing human biology in a matter that causes physical symptoms or perceived paranormal activity.
• Engidot 5hz – 3Ghz Digital EMF Detector – Just like the TriField meter this device is used to find the source of electromagnetic radiation that could be influencing human biology in a matter that causes physical symptoms or perceived paranormal activity.
• Weather Sensing Array – This device measures outdoor precipitation, wind speed, temperature, humidity, & air pressure as well as indoor temperature & humidity. Often atmospheric anomalies can be misinterpreted as paranormal activity or influence other natural reactions that could be perceived as paranormal activity.
• FLIR Far-Infrared Thermal Camera TG267 – This device allows me to see in the far infrared spectrum for heat signatures. I use this device to look for such things as drafts, causes of Helmholtz Resonances, and vermin living in the walls or between floors. I am able to take still photos using this device and then use Bluetooth to transfer them to my Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max and then transfer them to the Apple M2 MacBook for further evaluation.
• Zoom 360° Audio Recorder – Due to high sensitivity and amplification, it will record audio that is beyond the capabilities of reception by the human ear. It allows for live use so we can plug in headphones and monitor the feed during usage. I primarily use this to record sounds that the client is perceiving to be out of sort or paranormal for proper scientific identification.
• 3Dio Free Space Binaural Microphone – This device is connected to the H4N Pro Audio Recorder and is used to capture 3d audio as a human would hear it. Electronic devices can often record sound in a manner that alters is from the way that a human would perceive it. This microphone ensures that the audio recording is in the form that a human would have heard it.
• Shure MV7 Microphone – This microphone is used as an alternative audio receiver connected to the H4N Pro audio recorder and is used with the Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max for audio data logging when typing would affect the investigation or not be convenient due to safety concerns or logistics.
• 4k Full Spectrum Camera with Infrared Light – This mobile device allows me to extend the visual spectrum to see in the near-infrared spectrum beyond our eye’s ability, taking both still photography and 4k quality video. I use this device to primarily spot wildlife or vermin that could be causing activity that is perceived to be paranormal in nature.
• OOSSXX 2k Wireless Near-Infrared Cameras w/ DVR – These devices allow me to monitor and record day visual and night near-infrared video and audio. I primarily use these to monitor the output of non-data logging devices as upon leaving a device in a room to record readings I will exit the room to ensure that I am not contaminating the readings due to the electromagnetic radiation emanating from my body. Secondarily I will use the camera in an attempt to record activities exterior of a client’s property that could be causing what is perceived to be paranormal activity. Such things that I would be looking for would be potential sources of infrasound, ultrasound, and vibration. I would also be looking for human or natural activity that could be having an effect on the property owned by the client.
• Bshiny Trail Camera – This device provides us with 30-megapixel day and infrared motion-triggered photography. I use this device to photograph vermin inside of a client’s residence or business or wildlife outside of a client’s property.
• Laser Grid – This device allows me to see if there is any type of movement in a dark room. This movement could include vermin, dust and airborne particles, gasses, or excessive humidity.
• Faraday Bags – These devices house the audio recorder and microphones to ensure that external EMF radiation doesn’t interfere with them.
• 10 Red LED Flashlights – These devices allow me to illuminate my way or a room where needed without seriously affecting my night vision and investigation.
•24-Inch Professional Digital Magnetic Level – Allows us to find grades on objects that are designed to be flat.
There are also several pieces of equipment available on the market that are frequently asked about by clients as they have seen them on television. We
do not use the following equipment at Mount Washington Valley SPIRIT.
• K2 Meter – Historically some TV shows have portrayed this device to be a ghost/spirit detector. This device is an unshielded EMF meter that can be set off by anything from a cell phone renegotiating its connection to a tower, a two-way radio down the street, WiFi, a human or animal, static electricity, etc. Anything can set this device off, therefore making it unreliable to be used as seen on tv. The only benefit of the device is to use it to find EMF spikes from electric equipment to note that those spikes could cause interference noise on audio equipment.
• Ghost Box (also known as Frank’s Box) – This device is marketed to have the ability to communicate with entities by rapidly scanning the FM radio band. What it does is pick up bits and pieces of what radio stations are transmitting. We believe it to be unlikely that upon death an entity gains a skill set where it could manipulate electronics to form words that it is intending to speak.
• Ovilus – This device is marketed as converting localized electromagnetic energy into words. Basically, some guy claims a spirit came to him and taught him an electromagnetic language which he then created a translation matrix for. He claims that all paranormal entities have learned this language. There are even cell phone apps marketed for this purpose. This device is for entertainment purposes only.
• REM Pod – Virtually the same thing as a K2 meter. Historically some TV shows have portrayed this device to be a ghost/spirit detector. This device is an unshielded EMF meter that can be set off by anything from a cell phone renegotiating it’s a connection to a tower, a two-way radio down the street, WiFi, a human or animal, static electricity, etc. Anything can set this device off, therefore making it unreliable to be used as seen on tv. The only benefit of the device is to use it to find EMF spikes from electric equipment to note that those spikes could cause interference noise on audio equipment.
• Structured Light Sensor Camera (SLS Camera)- This device is marketed as gathering electromagnetic radiation and giving it a visual representation as stick figures representing spirits or ghosts. I would use this device for entertainment purposes only. While an intriguing theory, it doesn’t have a practical purpose, as any energy or object can be represented as a paranormal entity on this device. The video game industry uses this device to record human movement to be programmed into video games.